5 things to consider before choosing a kitchen countertop
Whether you are renovating your current kitchen or designing a new one for most of us it might be tempting to choose a countertop based on the looks. But a countertop does more than making your kitchen look eye-popping. The countertop is the most used space in a kitchen. It is prone to more wear and tear as it goes through everything like prepping, slicing, and grinding. So it is advisable to choose one that can withstand all wear, and tear, material durability, and maintenance.
Eventually, the countertop is the only area that grabs your visitor’s attention. Therefore it is important for your countertop to look visually pleasing. Here, we the designers of modular kitchen in Salem have compiled a few things to consider when choosing your kitchen countertop without compromising on the looks, durability, and maintenance.
- How you wish to use your countertop space?
Before settling on what countertop to use it is better to understand how you will be using the countertop. It might be tempting to go with the looks but it is very important to choose the one that will withstand your daily wear, and tear. Ask yourself the following questions to choose better.
- Do you cook a lot or bake often?
- How do you, and your family use your kitchen?
- How long do you want the countertop to withstand?
- Do you use your kitchen for entertainment, or hosting parties?
If you use your countertop for all the above-asked questions then LeFreddo- Modular kitchen in Salem advises to mix and match the countertop materials. Yes, use different materials for the different areas for example, if you chop a lot while cooking then install a built-in cutting board on the counter, for baking use a marble countertop section. This way you will spend very little on your kitchen countertop, and this will improve the durability of your countertop.
- How much maintenance the countertop will require
Be honest with this question, don’t fall in love with the material because each material has different maintenance demand. The most popular countertop material is quartz as it does not require maintenance, non-porous, and durable. It needs a just simple wipe down.
Let’s look into other countertop materials
- Low maintenance is required, Stain-resistant, and easy to clean
- Varieties of colors, textures, and patterns are available
- Not heat resistant hence heat or sharp objects can damage it which cannot be repaired. Needs to be replaced after damage.
- It can withstand heat, knife marks, splashes, other daily wear, and tear
- Available in a variety of colors, textures, and patterns.
- Very resistant to cracks, and chips.
- Requires resealing every 6-12 months.
- Looks elegant, and stylish
- Withstand heat
- Scratches can occur easily
- Not stain-resistant
- Made by combining crushed quartz, and resin
- A wide variety of colors and patterns are available
- Environment-friendly, non-porous, naturally anti-bacterial
- Highly resistant materials
- No maintenance is required.
5. Butcher Block
- Looks classic
- Less maintenance is required
- Can be cleaned easily with soap, and water
- Not scratch-resistant scratched spots cannot be repaired.
- Considered a good choice for Kitchen island
- Gives an industrial look to your kitchen
- Can withstand wear, and tear but not as heat-resistant as other materials
- Cracks can develop overtime
- Without frequent sealing, it is prone to stain
- Very heavy
Click here to know everything about countertops
- Space required
It is very essential for your modular kitchen expert to know how much space you need on a countertop. This will give you an estimate of how much material you will need for the countertop. Certain brands have many options and prices can also vary.
The cost of countertop changes from material to material and from brand to brand. Invest in a good kitchen countertop and maintain it properly because a well-maintained countertop can last indefinitely. We recommend you first decide on the countertop and then choose the version that suits you, and your overall interior.
- Finally, choose the material, and color
All the above-mentioned factors will help you choose the right material but when it comes to deciding the color it can be daunting. That is why we the designers of modular kitchen in Salem recommend you to choose the color that is in contrast with the cabinets. Avoid the same matching color.
There are so many options for countertops available in the market so it is a tedious process to pick the right one. Don’t fall in love with the looks always look into the material’s pros, and cons. When in doubt it is best to seek a professional’s advice. Remodeling or designing a new kitchen LeFreddo- modular kitchen in Salem can help you choose the right countertop for your kitchen.