Importance of Pattern in Interior design
Patterns are seen everywhere it is one of the 7 elements of interior design. It is used in interior design for centuries in the form of paintings, rug, tiles, textiles, and tapestries. Patterns play a major role in interior design just like shape, texture, form, light, and color. It is exciting to use in both residential and commercial interiors and has the ability to bring energy, interest and contrast to your design. Pattern adds texture to an interior and is often created using wall coverings, tile, carpeting, and other graphic elements.
A room filled with too many patterns can overwhelming therefore there are few rules to follow when using patterns in an interior. Here’s a guide from LeFreddo-Interior designer in Salem on using pattern in interior design like a pro.
Most common type of patterns
- Stripes: This is of three type’s complex, vertical and horizontal. Complex pattern includes diagonals, crisscross lines and many colors. They make a space look larger but can be overwhelming in small bedrooms. Vertical stripes are elegant, sophisticated, and add height to a room. Whereas horizontal stripes add space to a room.
- Floral patterns: These patterns are feminine, soft and add a touch of nature to your décor. Make sure to use larger print for large rooms and smaller print for small rooms.
- Motif patterns: These are a set of repeated patterns in abstract shapes. It gives the interior a flow and sense of continuity.
- Animal Print patterns: this pattern includes photogenic representation of animal patterns.
Why patterns are necessary in interior design?
Patterns are an important tool in interior design. LeFreddo-Interior designer in Salem uses it strategically in every rooms to make a room look aesthetically appealing.
We believe that a home should always represent your personality. Using patterns and colors of your preference will always speak about your personality to the guests. As a responsible interior designer we encourage our clients to find the best pattern that speak about your personality.
Changes can be made often:
A home décor can be updated or remodeled from time to time or season to season without having to make major changes or spending more money. Patterns help make changes from time to time easily. For instance, you can use floral throw pillows on the upholstery for summer and bold plush pillows for winter.
Easy to hide stains:
Ugly stains can make a space look messier. Whether it is oil splatter or anything that won’t leave even after too much scrubbing and washing patterns can hide them away. A floral print piece of upholstery or rug can mask the stains and make your space look beautiful.
Create a focal point:
Interior designers at LeFreddo believe that every room must have a focal point. Patterns are a great and easy way to add focal point in budget. For instance, using patterned wallpaper on one side of the wall or placing a rug or carpet embellished with patterns can act as a focal point. It is always essential to choose patterns wisely as some patterns make the room feel cramped while other might be too overwhelming. Make sure to use patterns that band well with the overall design scheme of your house.
They liven up a room:
You don’t have to limit to one pattern there is so such restriction. Choose two patterns that are contrast to each other to make your space lively. Two contrast patterns when used in same room can together make the room look interesting.
Neutrals are the main elements of interior design. Not every space can be patterned when used along with neutrals can make a space look balanced and appealing. Just adding one rug of bench that is patterned can add more interest and personality to a room.
How to add patterns in Interior design?
Patterns are an interesting way to personalize a space and transform any ordinary space extraordinary. Patterns can be added in any form such as wall paper, curtains, tiles, backsplash, etc.
Floral patterns are too difficult to implement in a space but loved by many. Some floral patterns make a space look feminine whereas some make a room feel overdone. Before doing any major remodeling for just adding floral patterns consider how you can implement them through accessories. Try incorporating floral patterns through curtains, comforters, quilts, blankets, throw pillows, artwork, rugs, china, upholstery, and tablecloths.
Using a beautiful floral painting that is beautiful and eye-catching can make a perfect focal point. Brightly colored floral patterns can make a room feel too feminine for men. So to avoid this you can add floral patterns in muted hues such as greens, browns, and blues with leaves and branches.
Geometric patterns have been in the interior design rend from 60’s and never fade away. It is the most sought-out pattern but many interior designs because it is versatile and make a room look awesomely beautiful. Geometric patterns are found everywhere and they can be either two dimensional or three dimensional.
Geometric patterns can be implemented in a space through tiles, furniture or painting. Horizontal and vertical patterns make a room feel large and spacious. Geometric patterns attract a lot of attention hence as interior designer we recommend to use more neutral backgrounds or minimalist furniture.
If you love living in a lush green places then tropical patterns are just for you. Because the goal of this bold aesthetic is to give the impression of being surrounded by lush vegetation, you can go all out with botanical prints on the walls and soft furniture. To take your space to the next level, add tropical artwork and accessories, but don’t forget to include a clean, simple neutral such as white or cool grey for contrast.
Add patterns through wallpaper
Wallpapers are a great way to incorporate patterns into a space. There are so many amazing wallpaper patterns available therefor it is a tedious task to make a choice. It is a simple way to give your home an easy update on budget. Sometimes it is essential to add a little punch to unexpected spaces. For instance using a beautifully patterned wallpaper on one wall of the living room or using an abstract motif wallpaper in home office to make the space more inviting.
Things to know before adding patterns
The pattern you choose can affect the overall ambience and appearance of a room. They come in different colors, sizes and shapes hence using a wrong pattern will make a room feel awkward. Here are a few things to consider when choosing the pattern for your interior.
- Make sure all the patterns used are not the same size when mixing them. Large-scale pattern designs should be used as the dominating pattern, with medium and smaller size patterns used as accents.
- Using too many patterns of different colors can make a room feel cluttered. For an aesthetically pleasing interior choose color tones from same color palette. But when you want to use bold colors follow the 60-30-10 rule. This indicates that 60 percent of your space should be a dominating color, 30 percent should be a secondary color, and the remaining 10% should be an accent color.
- Avoid using too many patterns therefor pick only three-four patterns that align with each other. Using too many different patterns not only make a room feel chaotic but it will look more like a mess.
- Mixing and matching patterns and colors might help you increase your design options, but doing so too much can make the space feel claustrophobic. To break up the lines and forms of your designs, mix in solid colors every now and then. Also, instead of being restricted to one side of the room, keep your patterns flowing throughout the entire space.
- Always know what blends well in the room because some patterns and prints when mixed together won’t work. So finding the pattern that best suits the space and personality is a trial-and-error method.