Interior designers guide to choose the best paint color for your house
Choosing a paint color for your small house can be a daunting task. But the easiest way is to start with your favorite color. Interior designers in Salem say that “be it your wall, furniture, bedroom, or decorative elements color is the easiest way to add personality to your space”. Generally, many of us opt to paint the walls white or neutral. This guide helps you choose the right color for your interiors. Once you know how to pick the right color, it is easy to add unique personality to each and every room.
According to the interior design principle , colors are portrayed in their mood. Let’s see how the mood appeals to your guest’s eyes.
The major colors: These tones create a major calming impact on your space, whereas promoting mental focus and relaxation. Blue, green, and purple are the latent colors that make a perfect choice for bedrooms and can make your small space seem spacious.
The lively hues: These tones create a stimulating impact, whereas exciting the minds. Red, yellows, and oranges make a perfect choice for kitchens, offices, and accent walls.
Neutral colors: These tones do not blend easily with major colors and lively colors. White, brown, gray, and cream are less saturated and perfect neutrals. Pairing neutrals with any other color can make small space feel lighter.
Start with a color inspiration
There are many inspiring ideas on the Pinterest board and Instagrams where you can find inexpensive decorating ideas and color inspirations for every kind of home. So start looking for color inspiration for every room of your house that catches your eyes in the first look. You can even find inspirations by flipping pages of an interior design magazine or catalogs Even retailer sites and paint company sites can also be inspiring too. All these give you many ideas on how to use the right color in your home.
Pick the right color scheme
Red, yellow, and blue are the primary colors in a color wheel which are at 12:00, 4:00, and 8:00 respectively. Mixing and combining any of these primary colors will give you thousands of colors. All these color paints can be bought from stores in a few bucks. But incorporating these colors in your interior seriously needs professional interior designers and decorators advice. But you don’t need to learn all this color theory there are many color tools that will give you quick color ideas.
Here are a few tips to choose the color from the color wheel
- Colors like blue and purple that are close to each other are analogous in nature whereas colors like red and green that are opposite to each other are complementary in nature.
- Colors like blue, green, and purple make a small room look spacious whereas colors like red, yellow, and orange create a vibrant appearance.
- To create warmth in colors like red, or yellow can be muted with colors like pink, peach, or buttery yellow.
- Warm colors use cool tones and vice versa as complimentary.
Choose the right Paint finish
Now that you know how to pick colors from the color wheel next it is important to choose the paint finish as well. Despite the fact that the paints have expanded the resistance to staining chance a satin finish is considered best for walls since it is scrub-able and doesn’t make imperfections too visible. Today, finishes are likewise being utilized to make enhanced visualizations on the entire wall.
We have listed the types of finishes available in the market for a better understanding.
Matte finish: Chalk-like appearance and commonly used for the ceiling.
Eggshell paint: low sheen with a soft, smooth finish reminiscent of a true eggshell.
Satin finish: very popular for its soft and pearl-like finish.
Semi-gloss finish: the shiny, sleek appearance that may appear darker than their swatch colors.
High-gloss finish: very shiny in appearance generally, used for accents such as doors, molding, and cabinets, rather than on walls.
Trial and error method
This is a good method to narrow down your color choices. Every top interior designers suggest their customers test the paint colors on the wall before committing to it. The colors do appear to be different in the samples versus the walls. Truth be told, the colors may appear to be different from room to room depending on the lighting. Furthermore, here and there when you see the shading on a bigger zone, you may change your perspective.
So here are few tips on how to properly test your paint color.
- Paint the samples on the wall: Testing colors on the whiteboard is not the smart or hassle-free way. The paint color will not look the same on the walls like it was on the whiteboard.
- Test on multiple walls: Test the color on at least two walls one that is well-lit and others that gets less light because the color will differ from room to room depending on the lighting it receives
- Always Use 2 coats of paint: With two coats of paint you get proper saturation so make sure you coat it twice
- Test with a primer for saturated or bright colors: If you already have a dark color on the wall the so use a primer before testing the paint color.
- Choose your floor color first: Make sure to have the correct floor in place as this will influence the color perception on the paint.
Now that you know how to pick the right color for your interiors, it’s time to make the transition throughout your home
Let’s see the best colors for each room of a house to transform it in a more appealing way.
- Living Room: Maroon, dove gray, teal are the best colors for a living room however avoid bright red which will keep you away from relaxing.
- Kitchen: light orange, citrus colors, cream, blue, and white are the best colors for your kitchen however avoid black, dark blue, and bright yellow as this will keep you away from stimulating the appetite.
- Bedroom: Blue, green, silver, and colors Blue’s connotations of sky and sea are the best colors for your bedroom. However, void using Cool brown, purple, which will keep you away from inherently relaxing.
- Bathroom: White, pastel yellow, peach, neutrals are the best colors for your bathroom. However, avoid using bright or extreme colors such as red or neon’s Soft colors work best for the bathroom.
Once you know how to pick the perfect color for your home then transitioning the color throughout your home will be more fun. You can find endless possibilities of color choices everywhere, so browse colors or find inspirations online or even from nature.Hiring a virtual interior designer will show you 3D representations of how the color will actually look in your walls.
Hope this article helped you find the right color for your home
To know how to pick the right color for your kid’s bedroom Click here!