Expert tips to designing the kitchen you need
Designing a new kitchen or giving an update to the exiting one? To design a kitchen that is both beautiful and functional careful planning is needed. So why don’t we ask the design experts who know the kitchens best. The Interior designers have the knowledge required to design a well-curated kitchen that fits the floor plan.
A kitchen is susceptible to more wear, and tear as it is one of the most important rooms where too much activity takes place. However it has to last for at least 15 years. So make sure to take sensible decisions to design a reliable, and functional kitchen. From space planning to choosing the right countertop LeFreddo- modular kitchen in Salem can nail down the absolute best and make the most efficient layout for a kitchen. With years’ of experience we have ingenious ideas to help spruce up your kitchen.
- How you wish to use the space?
No two kitchens can be same, so it is really important to know suits you and your family when designing a new kitchen. To design a functional, and aesthetic kitchen it is essential to determine the function you wish to serve there. Cooking is what we do in a kitchen, but over the years the usage of kitchen has become more than cooking. It has evolved to be the most important room of your home in other words the heart of the home. It is where we gather to spend a family-time, entertain, work, hang out with friends, help kids with homework, eat, and relax as well. So besides cooking just think of all the activity you do in your kitchen.
So narrow down a bit to see how this space functions for you and your family. Write down how you plan to use it every day? What are the other activities you would like to do in the kitchen? Do you like to entertain there? Finally, how much seating you need?
- Consider the work triangle
Kitchen work triangle or golden triangle is a guideline for every kitchen design. It nothing but an imaginary triangle drawn from the refrigerator, stove, and the sink keeping the three at the three corners of the triangle. This golden guideline allows you to reach the 3 main spots that is the hob/stove, sink, and the refrigerator easily, and avoids any traffic between them. Thus making a kitchen more functional, and efficient.
There are few points to keep in mind when designing a proper work triangle. The sides of the triangle should not exceed 26 feet also, leg of each side of the triangle should measure only 4, and 9 feet. The designer has to make sure that not any sides of the triangle should cut through an island or peninsula by more than 12 inches.
You can also have a second triangle designed by adding a second sink on the island or peninsula. This create a specialty workstation that provides you with enough room for baking, and preparation.
- Utilize smart storage solutions
Smart kitchen storage ideas, and solutions are very essential when designing a modular kitchen. To keep all the pots, pans, cooking essentials, and other kitchen accessories at bay ample storage is needed. There are so many solutions an expert can offer to make the most of your space. It is up to you to choose wisely what fits you the best. Make sure you have a convenient spot for cleaning supplies, bake ware, and cookware for spices, cutting board, and finally trash. Everything should have a place in the kitchen to make it more organized.
- Have the right amount of lighting
Lighting is equally important as a kitchen worktop, cabinet, or the appliances etc. It is one the vital elements in a kitchen that an expert advices on designing a functional kitchen interior. There are so many modular kitchen lighting ideas you can find on the internet but there are a few guidelines to calculate the amount of light required for a room.To calculate the lighting of a room you need to measure both length, and width in feet. Then multiply the both together to find its square footage.
Next, you need to find the foot-candle. Foot candle is nothing but measurement of light intensity. Unlike bedroom, living space, bathroom, and home office kitchens actually have two foot candles.
The other thing is you need to measure the lumen. Lumen is nothing but unit of measurement for the brightness of light. Find lumen by multiplying the square footage of the kitchen by foot candles.
- To calculate the lighting of a room you need to measure both length, and width in feet. Then multiply the both together to find its square footage.
- Next, you need to find the foot-candle. Foot candle is nothing but measurement of light intensity. Unlike bedroom, living space, bathroom, and home office kitchens actually have two foot candles.
- The other thing is you need to measure the lumen. Lumen is nothing but unit of measurement for the brightness of light. Find lumen by multiplying the square footage of the kitchen by foot candles.
- Measure up
A kitchen performs so many tasks rather than just cooking. Therefore to design a good kitchen you need to have enough room for everything. A perfect kitchen layout will adequate storage can make your kitchen more functional, and efficient. Here are the basics on how to measure up your kitchen.Measure the width of the wall. This should be done in one spot. Measure it from the base to all the way up to the ceiling.
Next measure the height.
Measure from the corner of the walls to the edge of the door trim. Including the total width of the doorway and the height of the door.
Do the same as mentioned in step 3 for measuring the windows.
- Measure the width of the wall. This should be done in one spot. Measure it from the base to all the way up to the ceiling.
- Next measure the height.
- Measure from the corner of the walls to the edge of the door trim. Including the total width of the doorway and the height of the door.
- Do the same as mentioned in step 3 for measuring the windows.
- Consider the appliances
Appliances are an important aspect of a kitchen. After all your appliances are necessary for the preparing, and cooking meals. Therefore considering all the required kitchen appliances is as important as choosing the layout.
- To have an efficient kitchen think what you actually need. You may love to invest on a massive refrigerator but what if it is not really essentially. It will merely become a decoration, and take up the space.
- Plan ahead by keeping in mind your work areas. Generally it is required to leave 4 feet between each point for easy access.
- Consider the flow of traffic, and leave enough space for doors, and drawers
- Finally don’t forget the small appliances such as coffee maker, toaster, mixer grinder, etc. Also the electric sockets required for each.
- Have sufficient countertop space
Lack of countertop space is a real frustration especially in small kitchens. The countertop is required for three main activity prep, cook, and wash. Therefore a spacious countertop can make everything easy-peasy. Always plan for three separate counters that are four feet long.
- Plan a kitchen Island
Designing a kitchen island is a very simple process. Every homeowner dreams of having an island in their kitchen to make kitchen look stylish, and modern. Did you know an island can provide you with extra space when planned perfectly? An island can act as a focal point for friends and family and also provide extra seating, storage space, space for small appliances, and a sink as well.
Before designing an island think how the space will be used also, make sure the islands size is in proportion. A good island measures about 2m to 3m long and 2.2 m to 1.4 m wide.